As you all know, I’m on a journey towards becoming a more devout minimalist. The area in which I struggle the most has to do with possessions; Pete and I have a lot of stuff. I think our fear is that if we don’t surround ourselves with things, we’ll have nothing to do. I was listing minimalist hobbies the other day, though, and I was surprised by how many I could name—most of which require no “stuff” at all. Here’s a list of my favorite minimalist hobbies.
My Minimalist Hobbies
1. Writing—Even though I write for a living, it seems I’ve always got room in my head for a few more words…
2. Reading—We’ve got an extensive collection of books, and we live next door to a library, so we’re never short on reading material.
3. Walking/Running—I love walking around town or out by the river. Even in a small community, I still see things that surprise me on a daily basis.
4. Practicing yoga—There’s nothing better for clearing your head…
5. Going to the movies—I love going to see movies in our little hometown theater. Its art-deco aesthetic makes me feel like I’m part of a larger tradition, like I’m doing something really special every time I walk through the doors.
While this list is just the beginning, I know there are a lot more minimalist hobbies I can look forward to enjoying in the future. What are some of yours?